On Tuesday 27th June we worked with artists Claire and Mark from Flow(NE)CIC. They like to use recycled materials in their projects.
We had a busy day, working hard on five different ideas.
- We all made our own A3 canvas. We painted a background watercolour pigment combined with batik salt, then used black card to create detailed silhouettes depicting scenes from the war.
- We worked together to construct a memorial chair to honour the men who lost their lives. This was hard work using drills and hammers but Mark made sure we didn’t hurt ourselves. The wood came from old pallets from North Shields fish quay.
- We all made pictures of tanks and soldiers on embossing foil and fastened these to wooden blocks.
- We worked together to design and make a large 3D canvas batik canvas depicting images and words of hope.
- Time ran out, but half the class made dog tags from scrap aluminium for the Birtley soldiers who died at Passchendaele. We hung these from our chair.
click below for the Photo Gallery